My PRK Journey: The Ride to Clear Vision
After wearing glasses since the 4th grade, I finally decided to get PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy). LASIK? Not for me. The idea of a flap on my cornea that could come loose if I ever got a head injury wasn’t something I was willing to risk. From the beginning, PRK seemed like the more "rough and tough" option. Longer recovery, sure, but without the whole flap issue. So, here’s how it went down.
Spoiler: it was a bumpy ride.
The Surgery Day: Quick but Terrifying
The First 48 Hours: Welcome to Pain Town
Let’s not sugarcoat it. The first 48 hours were absolutely brutal. I couldn’t open my eyes at all. It was like someone had taken a hammer to my eyeballs and just kept going. Light? Forget it. I couldn’t handle the dimmest of lights. It hurt so much that even with painkillers and all the eye drops in the world, I was stuck in darkness, praying for relief. If you’re thinking of getting PRK, brace yourself because these two days are going to test your patience.
The First Week: Living in a Cave
After surviving the initial hell, I stayed indoors for the entire first week. Seriously, I didn’t step outside once. My light sensitivity was off the charts, and walking near a window felt like looking directly at the sun. To add to the fun, I wasn’t allowed to wash my face or hair for the entire week. So imagine me, disheveled, avoiding any light like a vampire.
At my 1-week post-op checkup, they removed the bandage lenses, and I got the news that my vision was 20/50 in the left eye and 20/30 in the right eye. Not quite what I was hoping for, but it was progress. They also reduced me to two drops: Optive and L-Pred (a steroid). The steroid needed to be tapered off 4 times a day during week two, 3 times a day in week three, and so on.
Weeks 2-4: Blurry Screens, Patience Required
By Week 2, my vision had improved, but screens still looked blurry. To make matters worse, my eyes were dry whenever I woke up. The doctor assured me this would improve, and luckily, it did get better with each passing day. Now, I’m using moisturizing drops four times a day and the steroid once a day.
By Week 3, I was down to 3 times a day with the steroid, and my light sensitivity had slightly improved. I could finally go outside (with sunglasses, of course), but my left eye still wasn’t catching up as quickly as I’d hoped.
Day 39: One Month In, Seeing the Light
Now, 39 days after surgery, I had my most recent checkup on October 18. The good news? My right eye has hit 20/20 vision! The not-so-good news? My left eye is still lagging a bit at 20/25, but I’m hopeful that it’ll catch up soon. The best part? No halos or starbursts at night, which I was really dreading. Sunlight is still a bit annoying, but nothing sunglasses can’t fix.
Final Thoughts: Was It Worth It?
So, what’s the verdict? PRK is tough. The first few days were some of the hardest I've experienced. The pain, the light sensitivity, the endless eye drops. It all felt overwhelming. But now, after more than a month, things are finally starting to look up. Literally.
Here’s what I learned:
- Be patient: The healing process is slow. You won’t wake up with perfect vision overnight.
- Expect discomfort: The first few days are rough, and even after that, your vision will fluctuate.
- Stock up on eye drops: You’ll need them more than you think.
Would I do it again? Yes, in a Heartbeat. I’d willingly sign up for the first 48 hours again, because the clarity I’m starting to experience is definitely worth it.
Comments
Post a Comment
test